Return to Home Return to Home Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter
   
...for Events & Entertainment
...for Local Shopping & Gifts
...for Dining & Restaurants

Museum

 

Come Visit Us

 
The Milford Historical Society Museum may be visited May - November
Wednesdays and Saturdays
1:00pm - 4:00pm.
Tours also available by appointment after hours.
 
Enjoy a virtual tour of the museum.
 

Built by John Wood in 1853

 
 

The Greek revival structure which now houses the Milford Historical Society Museum was built by local cabinet maker John Wood. Through the years it served as home to Edwin Hubbell, a local merchant, and later his son, Frank “Trader” Hubbell. Dr. Weisbrod also had his home and office located here. Much local activity centered on this building when it contained the offices for Milford Village, Milford Township and the Police Department.

 

The Rooms Bring History to Life

 
Formal Parlor and Dining Room
The formal parlor and dining room depict the more gracious aspects of life. The kitchen, with its period gadgets, and the bedroom, with its rope bed, straw tick, and “thunder-mug” remind visitors of the more primitive conditions of the era. A toy room delights children of all ages.
 
Upper Floor
The upper floor of the museum is furnished as a home of the late Victorian era might have been. Many of the furnishings are items that were manufactured in Milford.
 
Log Cabin Exhibit
The latchstring is always out at this depiction of the Job G. Bigelow cabin built in the south end of Milford Township in 1833. The rough structure required constant chinking and the fireplace was the only source of heat. Still Mrs. Bigelow managed to start the first school for area children in her home. The cabin brings to life Milford’s pioneer days of hard work and hope.
       Bookmark & Share  
 © 1999 - 2017   Milford DDA Design by New Moon Visions ~ Floral Illustration by Elise Morris ~ Website by AccuNet